Actually, I don't think the Standard has "much opinion" on the entire BLOCK
CONTAINS clause.  The fact is that MOST existing "conforming" COBOL
compilers run in environments where blocking doesn't exist any more.  For
most conforming compilers, this phrase is documented as "syntax checked but
has no effect on application behavior" - or something similar.

I suspect that if one asked (via an "official interpretation request") what
happens when the BLOCK CONTAINS clause is omitted - and you are in an
environment where blocking MAY exist, then the answer would be "whatever the
hardware and/or OS says will happen, happens".  However, this is only my
opinion of the current status.

I strongly doubt that the would find the IBM behavior "non-conforming".
However, if anyone actually wants to find out, please contact me "off-list"
and I can tell you how to submit an interpretation request.

Of possible interest is the fact that the '85 COBOL Standard is no longer an
official ANSI or ISO Standard.  The current version is the 2002 ISO (or
ANSI) Standard - and IBM does NOT even claim to conform to that.

Alternatively, you might want to ask about this (as it relates to the
Standard) via the "Standards Forum" section of the "IBM COBOL Cafe".  See:

http://www-949.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/community/cobol/standard?view=
discussions