This was called NALC (New Application License Charge) which was meant to
ease the pain of adding a lot of MIPS for a specific application
(generally a hog) like SAP, PeopleSoft, and the like.  Only certain
applications/work was acceptable and you were not allowed to run a
'classic' workload (e.g. CICS/VSAM/Batch).  Kind of like what they were
doing with z/OS.e before it was phased out.