On Friday 17 July 2009, Chase, John wrote:
> [...]

    Oops - I didn't read the IBM Ported Tools description closely
enough, and missed the words "a non-priced program product". My
apologies.

    I still think I'd rather have a straight build of the latest version
(hmm, come to think of it, I guess I do now!), because:

1) I see small value in having a lot of IBM mods just to fit the
messages into an IBM-style scheme. As always,YMMV.

    (I wouldn't have a problem with this if the mods were fed back to
the bzip2 developers and became a part of the regular code base rather
than being a separately maintained IBM fork. I like standardized
message prefixes and good documentation as well as the next person. No,
really.)

2) The Supplementary Toolkit version appears to be 1.0.4, which is
documented to have a potential security vulnerability (CERT-FI 20469,
corrected in 1.0.5).

Cheers,
Bob

--