Behalf Of Klein, Kenneth
> Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:21 AM
> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
> Subject: Re: What's the difference in SMP/E between the SOURCEID's
called RSUnnnn and PUTnnnn ???

> Yes, you are both correct. The serious warning messages, some in red,
> just scared the heck outta me. Now I have iebcopied the full datasets
> larger ones and done the renames manually with ispf being sure to only
> affect the inactive resvol that is the target for my maint. Now the
> target pack is full. In other shops we always had a pair of resvols
for
> each environment, sandbox, development(test) and prod. Sometimes even
> pair for QA. Here they had a single resvol for each of 3 environments
> (only 2 a couple months ago) but I am afraid that will not be big
enough
> and we will have to go to 2. The dddefs are using (******) for the
> volser so it will reference the ipl device after ipl but what if we
have
> 2 resvols? I vaguely remember using &sysrs1 and &sysrs2, but was that
in
> the dddef or in the master catalog?

The symbolic references are in the catalog.  We currently have 4 volumes
in our "RESVOL sets" for each image, using &SYSR1 (aka '******'),
&SYSR2, &SYSR3 and &SYSR4.  The &SYSR2 - &SYSR4 symbols are defined in
IEASYMxx and resolved at IPL time; the LOADxx member in SYS1.IPLPARM
specifies which IEASYMxx member to use.    Where needed, the LNKLST and
APF list entries specify the symbolic volser.  Our DDDEFs explicitly
name the volsers:  ALTn19, where 0 <= n <= 3.

    -jc-