From: Pommier, Rex R. <rex.pomm...@cnasurety.com>
Subject: Re: z/OS SCRT NO89 Product Information
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Date: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 6:38 PM

Pat,

As far as coding *ALL for NO89 products that you do NOT have licenses to, I
can't tell for certain, but I wouldn't do that.  You might or might not get
billed for these products, or you might get a call from your friendly IBM sales
rep thanking you for licensing it all!  :-)

As far as coding *ALL for NO89 products that you DO have licenses for, you will
be billed for the total SCRT usage on the boxes, regardless of how much you
actually use the products.  As others have stated, NO89 means that IBM doesn't
cut SMF records to tell them how much is actually being used, so they bill for
the products based on the system utilization.

As far as coding *NONE for products you are using, IBM frowns on that, because
you're telling them that you aren't using the software.  If you're not actually
using it, drop the licenses to the product(s) and save the money.  If you are
using the products but telling IBM you aren't, that's being dishonest.

As far as giving IBM a list of LPARs you actually are running software on
instead of *ALL, you can save money by not being billed for the software on
LPARs you aren't running the software on.

In my case, I have 3 LPARs, 1 production a test, and a sandbox.  I only have 1
product that is in the NO89 list, COBOL.  I don't use this on my sandbox (named
MVSTECH), so my entry for this is:

5655-G53=MVSPROD,MVSTEST

When I get my SCRT report and subsequent bill, I don't get invoiced for the 1
MSU that typically shows up on the sandbox.  On the other LPARs, even though
COBOL is used very little, I get billed for the MSUs that the LPARs consume,
not that COBOL consumes.

HTH

Rex