What is needed is for IBM to write a "zfsresize" command. This command would
reorganize the internals of a zfs, compacting the used portions towards the
"front" of the dataset, adjusting the internal pointers, and marking some
portion (based on the user's input) as "unusable". Once the UNIX people have
written this code, the DFSMS people will need to write code which allows the
"excess" space in a VSAM LDS file to be released. Or is this functionality
already in SMS. I have a vague memory. Like so many of my memories.

OK, those who want this, write up a business case to show IBM how using up the
resources to do this would result in a quantifiable advantage to IBM. I would
guess (not sure), that means either makes them more money, or costs them less
money in the future (say for maintenance). It pretty much all boils down to
money (gained or not spent).

Personally, I don't give this a good chance. IMO, the best bet for this is to:
1) calculate how much space you want in the filesystem.
2) allocate a new zFS filesystem with that much space.
3) mount the new zFS filesystem at a new mountpoint.
4) remount the existing zFS filesystem in read-only mode (chmod -r /mount-point)
5) use something like pax to copy the files from the old filesystem to the new
one
   pax -k -pe -rw /old-mount-point /new-mount-point)
6) Unmount the old and new filesystems.
7) mount the new filesystem at the old mount point.
8) Update the BPXPRMxx member of PARMLIB.

Instead of the above 6 & 7, once you have the filesystems unmounted, you can
rename the old dataset to some different name, and the new dataset to the old
name and then do a mount.

Of course, steps 6+ assume that you can do the unmount. This is not always
possible. If not, you would need to update the BPXPRMnn member and reIPL. In
the worse case, perhaps a sysplex wide IPL.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group