From: Don Imbriale <don.imbri...@gmail.com>
To: IBM-MAIN <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Sent: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 12:49
Subject: Re: Shrinking a ZFS aggregate

So John is back to useless posts that do more to attack than to provide
ubstance.  Your earlier departure from this list was not missed.
- Don Imbriale
On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 7:25 PM, John Gilmore <jwgli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark,

 I am aware that you have done very useful work, and I will therefore be
 polite.

 I am a nevertheless more than a little tired of this nonsense.  I have
 been in this business since 1949.  That's 63 years.  How long have you
 been in this business?

 You would presumably agree with milder formulations of the notion I
 set out, say that a GETMAIN makes a complementary FREEMAIN desirable,
 perhaps even necessary.

 Moreover, you omitted to provide any details of the many examples of
 things that can be made larger but not smaller that you "can think
 of"; and this made your argument unimpressive, converted it into
 vacuous rhetoric.

 I can myself think of instances of the sort you allude to without
 mentioning, and those I have examined in detail stem from the usual
 omissis.  If shrinking as well as stretching had been a requirement ab
 initio, it would have been easy enough to implement.  It was not, and
 it was hard to provide as an add-on feature.   This is bad design, and
 Garden-of-Eden states do almost always reflect design defects

 Substantive argument and disagreement are fine.  I expect to be
 disagreed with.  I indeed try not to post platitudes that can provoke
 no disagreement.  You, howerver, omitted to make any substantive
 argument.  Your post was one more instance of what I have elsewhere
 used MIlls' term to characterize as "crackpot realism".

 John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 -

or IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
end email to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN