sto...@interchip.de (David Stokes) writes:
> is highly dubious.  All attempts to create security in computer
> systems seem to be doomed as clever people find ways around them. The
> Internet is more like a living organism that wants to live and expand
> than a traditional piece of technology. As far as counterfactuals go
> though, I'm actually pretty sure that with "planned transition" and
> "oversight" we wouldn't have an Internet at all, just some more pipes
> for advertising, "entertainment" and (mis)information.

in the 90s, the major (internet) exploit was from buffer overflow
vulnerabilities related to C-language programming convention for
handling strings. The vm/370 tcp/ip product implementation was done in
vs/pascal (earlier in thread, I mentioned having done rfc1044 support
for the product, getting possibly 500 times improvement in the bytes
moved per instruction executed) ... and had none of the buffer overflow
vulnerabilities found in c-language implementations. Multics operating
system was implementated in PLI and old security vulnerability
assessment found no buffer overflow vulnerabilities found in C-language
implementations. lots of past posts mentioning buffer overflow
vulnerability
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subintegrity.html#overflow

IBM research did a study/paper/presentation "Thirty Years Later: Lessons
from the Multics Security Evaluation" (one of the references was
no buffer overflow vulnerabilities)
http://www.acsac.org/2002/papers/classic-multics.pdf
security evaluation paper
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/history/karg74.pdf

About a decade ago, the exploits had shifted to approx.  1/3rd buffer
overflow vulnerability (related to c-language features), 1/3rd automatic
scripting vulnerability (previously mentioned from 1996 Moscone MSDC),
and 1/3rd various forms of social engineering (enticing individuals to
executing malware applications which would install exploit code into
their machines). Earlier in the thread, I also mentioned in the 90s,
there was EU FINREAD standard that was countermeasure for malware
compromised internet-connected PCs (but various unfortunate
circumstances resulted in abandoning the effort).

Part of the issue is that there is a fundamental different security
paradigm for desktop machines that operate stand-alone and/or on small,
safe networks and require no security countermeasures (especially those
with heritage of applications, like games, that have convention of
taking over the machine) ... and internet appliances ... nearly
diamtetrically opposing security requirements (my early reference to
going out into open space w/o spacesuit).

old post of some work I did on CVE database (2623 reported vulnerability
descriptions)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004e.html#43

I was trying to categorize CVE vulnerability&exploit reports.  I talked
to the CVE people about suggestion for requiring more structure in the
reports ... but at the time, their response was they were lucky to even
get the unstructured descriptions.

earlier posts in this thread:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012j.html#83 Gordon Crovitz: Who Really Invented
the Internet?