On 8/09/2012 1:49 AM, Bob Shannon wrote:
> Since the format of PDSEs has never been published, and since directory space
> can be created when
needed in non-contiguous areas, I seriously doubt ISPF can read the directory
as a PS data set.

Well, if reading the directory with QSAM or BSAM counts, then why not?

The REVIEW command can be used with the DATA operand
to browse the directory of a PDS or PDSE.  It uses BSAM so
the "hardware" keys can be seen as well.  You could then
use the CUT subcommand to copy it to a data set if that
was your fancy.

For a PDSE end-of-file is presented right after the last
used directory block, whereas for a PDS the unused
directory blocks can also be read before reaching
end-of-file.

Time was when the first QSAM GET to a PDSE directory
returned a buffer of mainly zeros, but the second GET
gave access to the first (mocked up by the system)
directory block.  That was fixed a decade or two ago.

So, if ISPF reads the directory sequentially (and I do not
know if it does or not, though SMF 14/15 records might
give a clue) it could acquire all of the ISPF stats and
"usual" load module attributes for PDS and PDSE members.

Of course, DESERV does give extra "directory entry"
information for program objects which are not present
in the data structure described by the IHAPDS macro.

OTOH, I agree that ISPF would not directly access the 4K
blocks on the tracks occupied by a PDSE and figure out
the stats and facts using logic which decodes the internal
PDSE data structures.

Cheers,
Greg Price