From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2012 9:56 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Anyone know how to copy a PDS directory as a flat file?

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 14:14:43 +0000, Bill Fairchild wrote:

>Assuming you have the authority to do so, superzap the F1 DSCB for your source
>PDS so that its DSORG is PS instead of PO.  Then do your IEBGENER.  Then zap
>the F1 back to PO.  It might work.  I have never tried this myself.

Perhaps you don't know about overrides in JCL DD and ALLOCATE commands?

Adding to my prior remark, specify _everything_ in SYSUT1 DD.
DSORG, RECFM, LRECL, BLKSIZE.

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 09:56:31 -0400, John Gilmore wrote:

>Lizette's point that IBM can change the information in a PDS directory
>without notice is of course generically correct
>
>That conceded, such changes have been infrequent for many years; and
>the functional stabilization of PDS support that came about with the
>introduction of PDSEs makes further such changes unlikely.  Brutally
>put, PDSEs are changing, PDSs are not.

So much IBM software (probably ISPF) and customer software depend on the PDS
directory format that I understand that a PDSE can be opened as PS and PDSE
support emulates the PDS directory format.

>Have you succeeded in opening your PDS as a sequential file?

I've done it in Rexx.  Assembler is for people who like that sort of thing.

-- gil

ATTENTION: -----

The information contained in this message (including any files transmitted with
this message) may contain proprietary, trade secret or other  confidential
and/or legally privileged information. Any pricing information contained in
this message or in any files transmitted with this message is always
confidential and cannot be shared with any third parties without prior written
approval from Syncsort. This message is intended to be read only by the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed or by their designee. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are on notice that
any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this message, in any form, is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
immediately notify the sender and/or Syncsort and destroy all copies of this
message in your possession, custody or control.