Try IDCAMS.

You do a REPRO of your PDS where you give the count that matches the
number of directory blocks and your output DD. You will need to specify
the INPUT DCB parameters, probably like this:  DCB=(RECFM=F.LRECL=256).

The output DD can be defined as FB with LRECL=256.

This will give you a file of nothing but the directory blocks.

I do things like this with RECFM=U and specify DUMP so that I can get a
dump of directory blocks when I am trying to figure out some problem with
a directory after I have hosed it with a bad STOW or some such.

Regards,
Steve Thompson
Staff Software Engineer
Connect:Direct for z/OS

I want to make a PS (flat file) copy of the series of 256-byte blocks of a
PDS directory. (I want to copy the data to another platform so I can test
some code with it more readily.)

I tried

//GENER    EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
//SYSUT1   DD   DSN=MY.PDS,DISP=SHR,RECFM=F,DSORG=PS
//SYSUT2   DD   DSN=THE.SAMPLE.PDSDIR,DISP=(NEW,CATLG),
//  SPACE=(TRK,(1,1))
<SNIPPAGE>