I have a customer that needs to tune Batch VSAM in a hurry. The two
candidate techniques are Batch LSR (BLSR) and System-Managed Buffering
(SMB). I've already established there'd be much value in converting NSR
OPENs to LSR - so we probably don't need to debate that.

The downside of SMB would be the need to convert each cluster to Extended
Format - which I ASSUME can't be done "in place". A copy and a rename
would be needed - which is certainly too much for dipping our toe in the
water.

I can't find anything that suggests BLSR is a DYNAMIC Subsystem - and I
don't think we have time for an IPL before we have to make changes. (I'm
not 100% certain we absolutely can't.)

The narrow question is whether BLSR is a Dynamic Subsystem or not. Wider
answers accepted, of course.

Thanks, Martin
Martin Packer,
zChampion, Principal Systems Investigator,
Worldwide Banking Center of Excellence, IBM

+44-7802-245-584

email: martin_pac...@uk.ibm.com

Twitter / Facebook IDs: MartinPacker
Blog: