On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 07:34:31 -0500, Tom Marchant <m42tom-ibmm...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 15:14:46 -0500, Mark Zelden wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 16:04:06 -0400, Ken Porowski wrote:
>>
>>>I was a little worried after the first 3 responses of Yes, No, and
>>>Maybe.
>>
>>If you have a sandbox LPAR, it is simple to test.
>
>I beg to differ.  It is simple to try it, testing is a different matter.
>It is quite difficult to test the possible timing issues.  I have
>issued UPDATE * many times on a sandbox system after
>activating a new LNKLST set, but it would be foolish to say that
>I have tested and found it to be safe.
>
>That said, perhaps I was too hasty in saying that it is not safe to
>be done.  Without knowing how the PDS command (or whatever
>tool is to be used) accomplishes the task, I cannot say whether
>it might be safe to do.  I do agree with the recommendation to
>either stop LLA or remove the data set in question from LLA
>management.  If the tool first moves every member that is located
>on the track where the new directory block(s) are to be located,
>it is likely safe to do as long as LLA is not managing the data set.

Only the OP can say for sure, but I assume he knew if the modules
were in use or not be in use at the time and he was only
concerned about the directory aspect of his change.

In my test, I can say with 100% certainty that it was safe and
I didn't need to remove the library for LLA since there are only
sysprogs using the sandbox and it would be rare that someone
was assembling something there and if they were they would
be using HLASM, not IEV90.  :-)

When I mentioned that I had done things like this in the past
on production systems, it has been in a maintenance window
where I'm also sure.  For example, the product has an STC
which is shut down so the modules aren't in use.

Regards,

Mark
mailto:m...@mzelden.com