From:   Mike Wood <mww...@ntlworld.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu,
Date:   10/18/2012 08:28 AM
Subject:        Re: DFSMShsm Abend S878
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu>

On Wednesday, 17 October 2012 23:02:49 UTC+1, Munish Sharma  wrote:
> We had an issue on one system wherein hsm cds backups were failing on
LPAR1 with RC=12 and REAS=08. The jrnl backups were going fine.

> When browsing through the activity logs, I came across the following:
>
> ADR376E (ttt)-mmmmm(yy), UNABLE TO ACQUIRE ADDITIONAL STORAGE FOR THE
TASK

> Since dfdss tries a concurrent backup of all 3 cds' to tape, I think it
is facing a memory issue. But since journal is not included in this
concurrency, it  always goes fine. Also, situation is compounded for hsm
since mcds is multi-cluster. So it requires the more memory.

> But the backup on LPAR2 was running fine. So I think it comes down to
the region size on both tasks. LPAR1 has 8M but LPAR2 has 0M. Therefore I
guess LPAR2 has the capability to scale up the region size required by
dfdss.

> Shall we try modifying the REGION parm for LPAR1 and test the backvolcds
command

> OR As earlier suggested the << Use the DSSXMMODE(?) SETSYS parm to run
DSS in its own cross-memory address space>> ..clearly in this case as
well... It's happening as too many DFDSS tasks are running in HSM., to
backup the multiple CDS's

> Regards
>
> Munish Sharma
Munish,  Looking at the R12 hsm books
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/dgt2i490/2.3.2.1.1?SHELF=EZ2ZBK0K&DT=20100729205957&CASE=

you can see there the recommendations for hsm region size both for primary
and secondary address spaces.  Many examples in the hsm book show 8M, but
that was probably unchanged since early releases of hsm (which I remember
well!).  Now the book seems to recommend 0M

Mike Wood

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.