On 1/31/2013 9:37 AM, Steve Thompson wrote:
One programmer, who has roughed out a system, using VSAM or DB2, has, for
the sake of argument, 2-3 man years of coding to do with debugging. So we
will say 3 to include documenting and testing.

US$500 * 12 * 3 = US$19,500    Just for the system out of Dallas.

Having paid many tens of thousands of $ in my younger days on a per-CPU-second basis for time-sharing to develop my software ideas, a flat $500/month for multiple developers using a fully-supported, private z/OS system with the latest hardware, an exhaustive software stack, and expert technical support seems pretty darn reasonable to me!

By comparison, an MSDN Visual Studio Ultimate subscription from Microsoft is $13K + $5K/year PER DEVELOPER, doesn't include hardware or system configuration expertise, and provides only four tech support incidents per year.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc