Elardus,

That is what I did.  I recalled the dsns then I did the ALTER command.  Thanks
for the tip.

________________________________
From: Elardus Engelbrecht <elardus.engelbre...@sita.co.za>
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Sent: Friday, February 1, 2013 8:29:44 AM
Subject: Re: BYPASSING RECALL OF MIGRATED DSNS WHILE ATTEMPTING ALTER

esmie moo wrote:

>I am altering a large amount of gdg dsns which are migrated.
>So it looks like the recall has to be done in order to process those files.

Do something like this, hopefully after hours:

IKJEFT - Recall say 500 dsn in one SYSIN.
Do your IDCAMS ALTER job with one SYSIN for all those datasets.
IKJEFT Migrate them again to ML2.

Repeat (wash, rinse, dry) above a few times for the rest.

(If you can first group your datasets per HSM ML2 volume, much better)

I usually use P in ISPF option 3.4 to create a list or do something like that
from ISMF for such work.

HTH!

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht