On 2/13/2013 1:37 PM, John Gilmore wrote:
When I first heard about the scheme Edward Jaffe has just mentioned I
did some simulations.  If optimality is identified with extents-used
minimization they suggest that the new scheme will work better than
the old one but not nearly so well as a full optimization, which would
require the solution of an integer linear-programming problem having
smallish embedded knapsack problems, a variant of the newsprint-roll
cutting problem.

But would that not require "active" data movement/cleanup whenever a block is
freed?

I think they settled for something they could pull off without radical re-architecture to the library or its serialization mechanisms.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc