Yep! And I remember dynamic allocation errors where the user basically just gets the SVC99 return/reason code, and the only way to figure out what happened is to look it up in the programming manual - not even a message manual.

So here's an example for you: If the BLDL gets a non-zero return code, should the program show "MEMBER XXXXXXXX NOT FOUND", which would probably be correct 99% of the time, or should we worry about the 1% where the message coded by the programmer was a good guess but still throws you off track?

These cases actually show off the beauty of z/OS abends, in my opinion. If a macro/svc abends when it gets such a failure, the SVC99 or BLDL programmer doesn't have to code anything and we let IBM handle the error message, reason codes, and documentation.