I can't really remember, but I think it was when R15 was not zero maybe S99ERROR/S99INFO were displayed in hex. Seems like that was pretty common at the time (1990's?) because I remember multiple times having to go to the programming manual to find the SVC99 codes. There were a few (1708?) that I knew without having to look them up.

On 6/10/2020 10:39 AM, Seymour J Metz wrote:
Are you talking about messages from dynamic allocation, or about messages from
the caller. The DAIRFAIL routine is avilable for formatting error codes from
DAIR and DYNALLOC, and DYNALLOC has an option to generate a message; if an
application doesn't use those facilities, but instead displays a raw error and
reason code, blame the application, not dynamic allocation.

Oh, well, those facilities have only been around for a few decades, so maybe
they're too new. :-(

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Tom
Brennan [t...@tombrennansoftware.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 1:29 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: "Everyone wants to retire mainframes"

Yep!  And I remember dynamic allocation errors where the user basically
just gets the SVC99 return/reason code, and the only way to figure out
what happened is to look it up in the programming manual - not even a
message manual.

So here's an example for you:  If the BLDL gets a non-zero return code,
should the program show "MEMBER XXXXXXXX NOT FOUND", which would
probably be correct 99% of the time, or should we worry about the 1%
where the message coded by the programmer was a good guess but still
throws you off track?

These cases actually show off the beauty of z/OS abends, in my opinion.
If a macro/svc abends when it gets such a failure, the SVC99 or BLDL
programmer doesn't have to code anything and we let IBM handle the error
message, reason codes, and documentation.