Things like numeric conversion and scooting text around are difficult in assembler, so I would tend to put that off until later [1]. Then one day I coded a macro and underlying subroutine so I could do something like this:

#PRINTF SYSPRINT,'DFS0929I BLDL ON DDNAME %s FAILED with RC=%d FOR MEMBER %s',(DDNAME,(R15),MEMBER)

... and suddenly I was far more likely to include the extra details with the initial coding.

I just looked at some doc for that old code and found this section, so I guess I was having some fun with various options to help display what I assume is correct English:

.*  PLURALIZER EXAMPLE (options P and A):
.*
.*      #SPRINTF OUTBUF,'You have %pd dogs',NUMDOGS
.*
.*           produces:  You have 1 dog
.*                      You have 2 dogs
.*
.*      #SPRINTF OUTBUF,'There %ad dogs',NUMDOGS
.*
.*           produces:  There is 1 dog
.*                      There are 2 dogs

[1] I was once known for the simple message "BAD RETURN CODE FROM COPY UTILITY", which I kept saying was temporary but somehow made it to a prod application. Oops.