From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Bob
Bridges [robhbrid...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2020 12:15 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: "Everyone wants to retire mainframes"

I used to imagine the poor mechanics listening skeptically to a young clueless
driver saying "I swear, mister, it was making this awful noise just a minute
ago...!"  I wouldn't have believed her either.  Then I started in end-user
support.

I have implicitly believed those stories ever since.  I tell some hapless users
that their machines saw me coming and immediately cleaned up their act.  I'm
mostly kidding, but how else to explain it when it happens so often?

---

/* The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right
place, but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.  -Dorothy
Nevill */