Well, I wrote an article on my internal company blog, recently. It was exactly about messages and codes.
People couldn't believe in some statements:
1. Every message has its own ID. Fortunately readers agreed that msg ID is far better than "Oops! Something went wrong, try again later". 2. Every message is documented, and there is "Messages and Codes" bookshelf. And there are books and even bookshelves. And it was available from Internet for 20+ years. 3. Every message ID has prefix which clearly describes that it comes from CICS, DB2, RACF... (DFH, DSN, ICH...) 4. Message description in the book is more than "Something is wrong. Try again later".
5. Return code has meaning. It is more than "zero vs non-zero" RC.

I wish I could put here some pictures with funny/annoying Windows messages here.  ;-)

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland