X-Posted IBMMAIN and IBMTCP. Apologies. This is a question that is both
urgent for us and perhaps a little obscure.

With Passive FTP, the server uses a PORT command to say to the client "open
the data connection on this IP address." Unfortunately with NAT that is an
internal address that is meaningless at the client. Many firewalls or
routers that support NAT are apparently smart enough to translate that PORT
command from an internal to an external address, and everything works
wonderfully.

The wrinkle comes with TLS: the control connection is encrypted and
inaccessible to the firewall or router.

Enter CCC:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.ha
lz001/ftpcastlsrfclevel.htm
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4217#page-19

CCC says "stop encrypting the control connection (so the router or firewall
can see and translate it).

Apparently -- and this is where my knowledge gets fuzzy -- the RFC now
requires that the partners close the control connection at that point, but
z/OS FTP perhaps does not support that (?).

CCC has security red flags all over it, which is understandable, and it
looks like we may be encountering a firewall or router that does not support
it, or perhaps does not support the non-RFC version of it.

I am asking here "what is the 'right' answer?" How is passive FTP supposed
to work over a TLS session with NAT in effect?

Charles