From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Jackson, Rob [rwjack...@firsthorizon.com]
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2020 2:18 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: How is Passive FTP with TLS and NAT supposed to work?

Well, your point is made und understood, but active mode is the one using PORT;
passive mode uses PASV.  They both have their FW/load balancer issues.

We tend to use a variety of "fixes" for the various issues, given our
convoluted (typical?) environment.  EPSV can help.  Some clients have the
option to ignore PASV IP returned.  Our load balancers host our server certs in
some cases so they can decrypt and modify the IP.  Our MFT proxy cluster has
multiple nodes of FTP server adapter pairs, and each can be defined to return
the same IP in the PASV response (they are session-break proxies, so they don't
use the MFT servers' certs for encryption; they use their own); this IP would
be the exposed forwarding VIP on the internet.

There are other things, I'm sure I'm forgetting.  Switch to SFTP, and life gets
much easier--most of the time.

First Horizon Bank
Mainframe Technical Support