We are attempting, on our QA LPAR, to use the SMS DC attributes,

Data Set Name Type  . . . . . : EXTENDED
  If Extended . . . . . . . . : PREFERRED
  Extended Addressability . . : YES

for all of our sequential data sets.  Of several hundred/thousands of dataset
allocations, during the test
period, we ran into 4 ABENDS, 3 S213-94 and 1 S213-B8.  Which is pretty good,
in my opinion.

IEC143I 213-94 - An OPEN macro instruction was attempted against an
extended-format data set, but the access method is not BSAM or QSAM, or is BDAM
load mode.

IEC143I 213-B8 - An OPEN was attempted against an extended-format data set with
a DCB that specified EXCP. EXCP is not supported for extended-format data sets.

I would like to examine our SMF 14/15 records from our production LPAR to
identify other potential problem
datasets.  I have an ancient user written assembler program, 1980's, that
reports on SMF 14/15 records.  One
of the reported columns is MACREF, which has a test for EXCP processing.  If it
was EXCP processing, the record
is reported with an "E" for that column.  I'm able to see all 14/15 activity
that has activity for EXCP processing.
However, I noticed that SORT and ICEGENER use EXCP processing.   We didn't have
any ABENDS with SORT
or ICEGENER.

Two questions,   1)  In addition to my ancient assembler program, can anyone
recommend a free reporting tool,
that we could use to identify datasets not eligible for EXT format, and 2) Why
does SORT/ICEGENER work against
EXT type datasets with EXCP process?

Confidentiality notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged
and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or
the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended
recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this
e-mail message from your computer.