The easiest hardware upgrade by far is turning on more CPs or bumping
the aggregate CP capacity on existing hardware.   Raising the MSU
capacity on existing hardware never decreases software cost and usually
increases software costs, sometimes very significantly.  Note that Jesse
refers to a CPU upgrade, not a processor  upgrade.

It is true that replacing the entire processor system and running the
same workload on newer hardware has lowered software per-MSU costs in
recent years, which provides incentive for upgrading a processor sooner
rather than later.   However, if the motivation for an upgrade to newer
technology is to remove hardware constraints on your workload, a new
system that is able to satisfy the latent workload demand also has a
good chance of using enough additional MSUs to more than offset any
new-hardware software discount.  One would have to assume that the
intent of IBM's pricing strategies is that the cumulative effect of all
processor upgrades would be increased revenue for IBM.

    Joel C. Ewing

--
Joel C. Ewing