On Jul 3, 2020, at 2:16 PM, Jesse 1 Robinson <jesse1.robin...@sce.com> wrote:

> Ah, software cost. I still remember the first CPU upgrade after the
> insinuation of tiered pricing. We budgeted for the hardware and extracted
> approval from management. Then we were bowled over when the software bills
> rolled in. Of course it was our fault for not considering the budget busting
> impact of increased MIPS. Not sure IBM thought it through. We now refrain
> from hardware upgrades because of software costs.

I just gave a presentation to our user community about the z10 BC → z14 ZR1
upgrade we did last August. One of the most challenging things about this
upgrade was our z14 has zIIPs, which we didn’t have before. But try explaining
zIIPs and CP capacity levels, or processor characterization in general! Those
are totally irrational, except in the context of how mainframe software is
priced.

--
Pew, Curtis G
curtis....@austin.utexas.edu