Yes, it started as a 'fad'. If you look at what happened, the French were beheading all the royalty just because "royalty is bad" and they wanted a new measurement system because the old one could be traced back to royalty so therefore that old measurement system was also "bad" by association.

Sounds like the same thing that happens every season in Paris. The old clothing is "out" and the new clothing is "in".

Like I said, "fads". (I wonder if the 'f' in fads should stand for 'French'?) :-)

Tony Thigpen