On Jul 20, 2020, at 10:22 PM, Jackson, Rob <rwjack...@firsthorizon.com> wrote:

> American standard--Imperial units; they're rubbish.  Abject garbage.  SI is
> not a fad, despite its origins.  No fan of the "French;" no fan of "Trump;"
> no fan of anything political.  But SI, revised a couple times or three, is a
> beautiful system of units in which one may compute physics.  If you disagree,
> then I assert you have a challenge understanding many things about physics.
> I'm talking about mechanics and fluid dynamics.  I'm too stupid for E&M,
> although the same equivalency attempts apply there.

For science and engineering I totally agree: you should never use anything but
SI units. They have precise definitions, and being decimal-based make
calculations easier. Not to mention being used world-wide.

For everyday life, though, I think American/Imperial units (and any other
traditional systems that may survive elsewhere) have their advantages. They
evolved because people found them useful. For example, when I’m cooking I could
say 250 milliliters or one cup (they’re close enough for the precision I need)
but one cup is simpler. Or if my pedometer says I’ve walked 2000 steps I know
I’ve gone about a mile. (“Mile” comes from “mille passuum” = “a thousand of
steps”; my pedometer counts left and right as separate steps but for the Romans
you had to move both before they counted it.)

> P.S.  Apparently Imperial units have been redefined as relative to SI.
> Imagine that.

Yep. For precision definitions, always use SI.

I think it’s cool that SI units are now defined by specifying exact values for
physical constants.

> P.P.S.  This reminds me of many conversations with my father.  He absolutely
> couldn't stand this type of thing, i.e. SI being obviously superior.  I don't
> get it.  It is what it is.
>
> As a disclaimer, I'm not a complete bigot.  I say miles and yards; but I have
> this nasty habit of converting them to meters in my mind every time I say
> them.  The one thing I cannot get used to in every-day life is Celsius
> degrees.  I think in Fahrenheit degrees. Oddly enough, since they're exactly
> the same thing, I find it easier to talk in Kelvins rather than Celsius
> degrees.  Maybe I just like starting at zero.  :)  I couldn't tell you what
> absolute zero in Fahrenheit is; I guess I never cared.

This supports my point about the convenience of traditional units. Fahrenheit
is more granular than Celsius, so you can be a bit more precise without having
to go to decimals.

--
Pew, Curtis G
curtis....@austin.utexas.edu