From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Mike Schwab
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 11:59 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: OOBOL and English was Re: Still COBOL After All These Years?

[External Email. Exercise caution when clicking links or opening attachments.]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_zero
Absolute 0 is 0K, 0R, -273.15C, -459.67F.
Freezing point of water is 273.15K, 491.67R, 0C, 32F.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 10:23 PM Jackson, Rob <rwjack...@firsthorizon.com>
wrote:

> It disturbs me that I agree with Shmuel three times in as many days.
>
> Tony, what's your mass here lately after Insanity-19?  Let's have it in
> slugs, please, since that's the unit.  Take you a dram and a scruple; add in
> a grain or two for precision, but make sure you convert it to mass.
>
> American standard--Imperial units; they're rubbish.  Abject garbage.  SI is
> not a fad, despite its origins.  No fan of the "French;" no fan of "Trump;"
> no fan of anything political.  But SI, revised a couple times or three, is a
> beautiful system of units in which one may compute physics.  If you disagree,
> then I assert you have a challenge understanding many things about physics.
> I'm talking about mechanics and fluid dynamics.  I'm too stupid for E&M,
> although the same equivalency attempts apply there.
>
> P.S.  Apparently Imperial units have been redefined as relative to SI.
> Imagine that.  https://www.britannica.com/topic/Imperial-unit
>
> P.P.S.  This reminds me of many conversations with my father.  He absolutely
> couldn't stand this type of thing, i.e. SI being obviously superior.  I don't
> get it.  It is what it is.
>
> As a disclaimer, I'm not a complete bigot.  I say miles and yards; but I have
> this nasty habit of converting them to meters in my mind every time I say
> them.  The one thing I cannot get used to in every-day life is Celsius
> degrees.  I think in Fahrenheit degrees.  Oddly enough, since they're exactly
> the same thing, I find it easier to talk in Kelvins rather than Celsius
> degrees.  Maybe I just like starting at zero.  :)  I couldn't tell you what
> absolute zero in Fahrenheit is; I guess I never cared.
>
> First Horizon Bank
> Mainframe Technical Support

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA