When I drive in Canada, I just use the other markings on the speedometer. I know that 100 knots is about 55mph, but I don't really care as I don't convert it back and forth. I just go by what the sign says. (Which, as a good American, I add 10 to, or maybe 20 if I am on an interstate highway.)

So, as a USAns (as someone called us), we don't worry about conversion between lengths that much. So, that is why the whole "must be base 10" issue does not matter to me.

Tony Thigpen

David Crayford wrote on 7/21/20 9:57 AM:
I agree that cups are useful! The only time I find Imperial useful is reading US recipes that use cups. Other than that Imperial is brain damaged! And I say that having grown up in the UK to a family which used Imperial all the time in my youth. I used to go to the sweet shop and ask for a quarter of a pound of American hard gums!

I recently watched a US home improvements show and couldn't fathom how anybody could make sense of 1/16th of an inch. I couldn't tell you how many yards to a mile but meters to a KM is simple.

On 2020-07-21 9:46 PM, Pew, Curtis G wrote:
On Jul 20, 2020, at 10:22 PM, Jackson, Rob <rwjack...@firsthorizon.com> wrote:
American standard--Imperial units; they're rubbish.  Abject garbage. SI is not a fad, despite its origins.  No fan of the "French;" no fan of "Trump;" no fan of anything political.  But SI, revised a couple times or three, is a beautiful system of units in which one may compute physics.  If you disagree, then I assert you have a challenge understanding many things about physics.  I'm talking about mechanics and fluid dynamics.  I'm too stupid for E&M, although the same equivalency attempts apply there.
For science and engineering I totally agree: you should never use anything but SI units. They have precise definitions, and being decimal-based make calculations easier. Not to mention being used world-wide.

For everyday life, though, I think American/Imperial units (and any other traditional systems that may survive elsewhere) have their advantages. They evolved because people found them useful. For example, when I’m cooking I could say 250 milliliters or one cup (they’re close enough for the precision I need) but one cup is simpler. Or if my pedometer says I’ve walked 2000 steps I know I’ve gone about a mile. (“Mile” comes from “mille passuum” = “a thousand of steps”; my pedometer counts left and right as separate steps but for the Romans you had to move both before they counted it.)

P.S.  Apparently Imperial units have been redefined as relative to SI.  Imagine that.
Yep. For precision definitions, always use SI.

I think it’s cool that SI units are now defined by specifying exact values for physical constants.

P.P.S.  This reminds me of many conversations with my father.  He absolutely couldn't stand this type of thing, i.e. SI being obviously superior.  I don't get it.  It is what it is.

As a disclaimer, I'm not a complete bigot.  I say miles and yards; but I have this nasty habit of converting them to meters in my mind every time I say them.  The one thing I cannot get used to in every-day life is Celsius degrees.  I think in Fahrenheit degrees. Oddly enough, since they're exactly the same thing, I find it easier to talk in Kelvins rather than Celsius degrees.  Maybe I just like starting at zero.  :)  I couldn't tell you what absolute zero in Fahrenheit is; I guess I never cared.
This supports my point about the convenience of traditional units. Fahrenheit is more granular than Celsius, so you can be a bit more precise without having to go to decimals.