From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of Bob
Bridges
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 10:19 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Re: Caution: "Hacked" email caused the distribution of a
potentially harmful attachment

CAUTION EXTERNAL EMAIL

Interesting hypothesis.  I always supposed that they were badly written either
because a) scammers don't care (which is perhaps another way of saying they're
illiterate, or b) these Nigerian-oil-minister scams actually are written by
foreigners whose English is bad - not, perhaps, by actual Nigerians, whose
English is usually better than that - or c) they want to ~appear~ to be written
by Nigerians.  It never occurred to me that it might be an anti-intelligence
filter.

But then, I take it as an article of faith that it's not intelligence that'll
save you from being scammed.  It's not the smart people who fall for "I want
you to handle my money for me"; it's the greedy ones.  And greedy people are
foolish, but they're not necessarily stupid.

---

/* War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  -Ambrose Bierce */