-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Jesse 1 Robinson
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 17:08

JR> The idea of deliberately dumbing down language in spam is preposterous.
First of all I don't understand the purported logic of it.

BB> Radoslaw's logic seemed clear to me, but when I set out to spell it out for
you, I began to wonder whether I'd mistaken it.  He wrote "a method to filter
out bright people and leave only the fools", which I interpreted this way:
Intelligent people (according to Radoslaw) are less likely to produce profit
for the scammer, in the long run.  If the scam is written badly, an intelligent
person is more likely to throw it out, and thus less likely to waste the
scammer's time with replies that will in the end lead nowhere.  Fools,
meanwhile, will not notice (or notice less) the atrocious writing, and thus be
more likely to proceed.

I'll leave it to him to say whether I read him correctly.  But ~if~ that is
indeed the scammer's motive for writing badly, I think the scammer isn't
thinking very clearly.

The next part of your comment I think is just a confusion about who said what.
I said Nigerians are mostly capable of better English than I see in "Nigerian
old ministers' " emails, but that's just a side comment, not part of Radoslaw's
reasoning.

JR> More important, while English is an official language in Nigeria, it is no
one's mother tongue. It's learned, mostly in school, to whatever proficiency
the learner can achieve. The average spammer has probably never stepped inside
university. Even secondary school certification is improbable. Add to that the
'dialectical' difference between Nigerian and American English makes it
unlikely that the most fluent spammer could write something of undetectable of
origin.

BB> I don't buy that last part.  I have no idea how many spammers have been to
University, or secondary school, but they can't ~all~ be illiterate and
therefore it's not unlikely - just the reverse - that some of them will be able
to compose a grammatically correct email.  No one said anything about
"undetectable"; for verisimilitude you'd want ~some~ degree of "foreign-ness".

---

/* ...in your bedchamber do not curse a king, and in your sleeping rooms do not
curse a rich man, for a bird of the heavens will carry the sound, and the
winged creature will make the matter known.  -Ecclesiastes 10:20 */