From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Wayne Bickerdike <wayn...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2020 7:29 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM splitting into two companies

Unfortunately, the U.S. patent system creates warped incentives for
emerging software fields like road-safety features. Rather than competing
in a challenging space, some players are seeking broadly-worded patents,
then hope to sit back and extract profits later.

That may be the strategy of the International Business Machine Corp., which
has acquired more U.S. patents than any other company for decades now. This
week, IBM was awarded U.S. Patent No. 10,191,462
<http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=10191462&OS=10191462&RS=10191462>,
describing a “Vehicle electronic receptionist.”

IBM likely has the resources to make technology to manage communications
while driving. But the ’462 patent describes nothing of the sort. Instead,
IBM’s patent simply describes a computerized decision-making process.

https://secure-web.cisco.com/1RWrGtPeaMJvxnTXIEYDJaw8qVOQJsc5rieqkupz4T4nqLgMRiJ4eJJo05REfbsdw4uBFU1Ltu59LIUbe29C14saoCDQ8YxZ6vBQBBz5Y0uvztrfVzV1iUaTOypbJmqB0BjQvA9aPk6tZPPRCqeQom2u4DkJP7fYlHBbRVJshGvUgT6oliJR6ncgrj1xZ_SKSJ2Tg7ImfJFkudvZMRy6ouLx3fkDLNWKwFh0uIIROPIjU_o-lOKwqsHPG-VRuPEvsjupUiP0ZEm9TlMq9qSYliztatJ2rDxjfd6LETp_EWBMBlCDt9tKKjRFZqfZbkES-0yyJKiUH6NVWcfn0cLNJd8iX2Ro9RK2xNYHWZXGw15Ct02cEntu-ffq9-kUY-flAjYY6UturDD0TIiYfASpcdgAzaUo1h0XcX1TTPAWgJNYx1xULhzqhfULNzzrTXtr0k5Le2sYu3SUwLHqLLocti2uKSI9TiVK1RQhMKSJZHZk/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.eff.org%2Fdeeplinks%2F2019%2F01%2Fstupid-patent-month-ibms-software-patent-texting-and-driving

Wayne V. Bickerdike