From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2020 9:00 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SMF to capture user login history

On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 15:07:20 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>Well, if I didn't have an IBM or third party tool like SAS/MXG, I'd write a
>small PL/I program to process the SMF data. The records to look at depend on
>the types of logon you're concerned with,
>
>"Note: IBM recommends that you use record type 30 rather than record types 4,
>5, 20, 34, 35, and 40." You may also need type 70 (RMF).

Are there PL/I header files mapping SMF record types?  C?  Rexx?

For Rexx, the ideal would be a facility similar to OMVS ADDRESS SYSCALL
which returns not a storage object with mapped offsets but a compound
symbol with a programmer-specified stem and  tail values mapped by
mnemonic SYSCALL_CONSTANTS.

Is there (a range of) SMF record types reserved for ISVs?  Or even a
single type further distinguished by ISV-assigned component prefix?

Is it possible to operate z/OS with neither RACF nor a competing
product?  I'd suspect many SAF calls would need to be stubbed.
Data set passwords, UADS, etc.?