Well, I'll look at he manuals tomorrow. Fortunately, this is still the sandbox.
It worked fine with the Syncsort
ICE067I 0 INVALID PARAMETER IN JCL EXEC PARM OR INVOKED PARM LIST
            JOIN UNPAIRED
               JOINKEYS FILE=F1,FIELDS=(1,9,CH,A),TYPE=F
                                            $
ICE400A 0 INVALID JOINKEYS, JOIN OR REFORMAT STATEMENT OPERAND
               JOINKEYS FILE=F2,FIELDS=(6,9,CH,A),
                                            $
ICE400A 0 INVALID JOINKEYS, JOIN OR REFORMAT STATEMENT OPERAND
               INCLUDE=(6,9,CH,EQ,C'MCR02143I'),TYPE=V
                      $
ICE007A 1 SYNTAX ERROR
ICE751I 0 C5-I58435 C6-BASE   C7-I58435 C8-I58435 E7-I58377
ICE052I 3 END OF DFSORT