> Why use "*" (which caused you problems previously) rather than "."

Not clear on the difference. See "not a UNIX professional." Did * cause me
problems? I thought it was a file named -x that caused the problems. Deleting
the file named -x sure solved the problem!

I took care to put the archive outside of the archived path. Not THAT dumb. <g>

> Fear of the unknown.

Guilty as charged, your honor. Actually, how about "avoidance of unknown
variables, seeing as how I already had enough on my plate"?

Charles