From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of David Betten
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 9:32 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: DFSORT Weirdness

I've been working on the ETR with our L2 support and waiting for some doc to
confirm my assumptions.  But I figure I better update this thread since so many
seem to be speculating.  I believe what happened is this.

One of the things DFSORT looks at is the values returned from SYSEVENT STGTEST.
Some time back, STGTEST was updated so that the B and C values returned took
into account available aux slots.  Here is the text from APAR OA20116

   Additionally the logic in IRAEVREQ ensures that the value
   returned in words 2 and 3 do not drive the system into an
   auxiliary storage shortage.  The value returned in words 2 and 3
   will only fill the AUX subsystem up to 50%.

   Examples:
   If the AUX subsystem is filled by 25% and the return value 1
   contains 1000 frames.  Then the return value 2 and 3 are set to
   1000 frames + 25% of the AUX slots.

>From the RMF I looked at, it appears when the page data sets were moved to the
>new dasd, they were also increased.  This led to an increase in the value
>returned from STGTEST which led to DFSORT allocating more storage for sorting
>in memory.  If you change the DFSORT default to EXPOLD=0, DFSORT will only
>factor in the A-value returned from STGTEST making it less likely to cause
>page stealing from other workloads.

But again, I want to stress that we're still waiting for additional doc to
verify all this so I don't want to encourage further speculation.  I will
update this thread when we confirm things.

Have a nice day,
Dave Betten
DFSMS Performance Engineer
IBM Corporation