When we have done PAGEADD and PAGEDELs for Volume migrations to new
UCBs, what it does is balance by I/O.  While the PAGEDELS are going,
as soon as one write is completed, the next write starts, pretty much
round robin.  In your case I would hypethosis it tries the first page
dataset on a volume and only uses the second if the first one is still
busy.

I would imagine when a small page dataset gets full, it would round
robin the remaining page datasets until the next smallest gets full,
and would reflect any I/O contention with other datasets on the
volume.

--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA