Performance reasons. Without the quotes REXX first interprets MVS as a variable
name, which (probable) has not been set, so takes on the value of the variable
name in caps. By putting it in caps, and enclosing it in quotes, I save REXX a
few steps and it goes directly to the MVS ADDRESS environment to find the
EXECIO function.

Back in the MVS & MVS/XA Days, these types of performance optimizations were
actually quite noticeable. Today, you need to do quite a number of them, in a
large loop, to see the difference. So today, it is mostly just my fingers
memory and for documentation purposes (it sticks out visually more).

I similarly “always” capitalize REXX Key words, to save REXX from having to
spend cycles actually FOLDING then up. Old habits, but again I think more
readable.

Sent via Al Ferguson’s iPad