On Tue, 24 Nov 2020, at 02:20, Al Ferguson wrote:
> Performance reasons. Without the quotes REXX first interprets MVS as a
> variable name

Are you sure?

I thought that environment (after address) was one of the few places in
REXX where quotes were unnecessary because what's typed there is
regarded as a constant.

And, that if you actually wanted a variable's value to be used, you'd have
to code

  address value varname

> Back in the MVS & MVS/XA Days, these types of performance optimizations
> were actually quite noticeable.

Even if what you said above was true, I doubt very much that capitalising
the environment name would ever have make a measurable difference,
bearing in mind how few times one would typically specify an address
statement in a typical exec.

> I similarly “always” capitalize REXX Key words, to save REXX from
> having to spend cycles actually FOLDING then up.

It's been years since I wrote any REXX on a mainframe, but I know I didn't
uppercase my code back then ... and a quick look at current manuals shows
sample code is sometimes in uppercase, and sometimes mixed case.

Is this idea that uppercase REXX is more efficient something that everyone
here accepts?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.