It's not just IBM that has never heard of orthogonality.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin [0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu]
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2020 5:54 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Extraneous blanks in SDSF issued command

On Tue, 1 Dec 2020 08:14:06 +1100, Attila Fogarasi  wrote:

>SKIP(ON) is the ISPF panel field attribute that causes automatic skip to
>next field when the cursor reaches the end of a field (SKIP(OFF) is the
>default).  I'm not 100% sure about your second question (insert spanning

Not needed.

>fields) but AFAIK insert is limited to a single field (it certainly was in
>the original hardware).  Normally a scrollable area would be used instead
>of 2 fields when they are actually 1 field logically.  Not sure that all
>3270 emulators work correctly with the fancier data streams (or rather,
>I've run into lots of problems doing this).

IBM seems determined to inconvenience users of wide screens.  The
"ISPF Command Shell panel (ISRTSO)" (see illustration):

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.4.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r4.f54u200/chap9.htm

... provides a single field covering 3 lines on an 80-column screen so
insertion simply works up to the size of the field.

This answers Rob's concern; Yes, it's possible.

On a wider screen, the panel is formatted in a "pillarbox" (GIYF) and
insertion works only within a single line.  When I ranted about this
(on ISPF-L?) experts advised me, "Oh you need ISRTSOA":

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.4.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r4.f54pc00/isppc115.htm

...  Hmmm.  Configuration option; not available to mere mortal users.
But I copied ISRTSOA into my private ISPPLIB and renamed it.  All
better.  ISPF 3.17 suffers a similar misdesign in its entry panel with
wide screens for a poor reason.

>On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 7:29 AM Rob Scott wrote:
>
>> In your example, assuming that the input field spans two lines :
>>
>> (1) When the user starts to type on the first line and gets to the end of
>> the input field in the line, is the input skipped to the next line?
>>
>> (2) If there is existing data on the second line and the user attempts to
>> insert data on the first line, does the data on the second line shift to
>> accommodate the inserted bytes.
>>
>> If both the above are satisfied, then I would doff my cap to you and
>> implement a solution based on that in the next release.

-- gil