> Is a written specification available,

"The INS MODE (3275/3277) or ~ (3276/3278/3279) key allows characters to be
inserted into a field, while all characters following the point of insertion
are shifted to the right."

"If a field is a large one and covers more than one line, and if the situation
calls for it, during the insert operation, characters will shift from the end
of one line to the beginning of the next."

> Does IBM market "a real 3270" nowadays?

I doubt it. But what do HOD and PCCOMM do?

> Many emulators replace NULs followed by a non-null charater (sic)
> with spaces in the transmitted data stream,

That's what I call a Molly Malone:

     She died of a faever
     From which none could save her

IBM had a more sensible idea on some modes; if you enabled Entry Assist then
you could treat blanks as nulls for purposes of insert.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3