From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Brian Westerman [brian_wester...@syzygyinc.com]
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2021 3:36 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Inspecting and extracting from /OS transportable files on other
platforms?

I think I would use transmit format for transporting things between systems,
it's easily transportable and common no matter where you go and is even usable
on a desktop PC.

The other thing you can do (which I personally do) is simply FTP the PDS's and
sequential files directly to your PC (on a USB drive) in ASCII format.  I do
this weekly, rotating the encrypted USB drive that I have on my keychain so
that if it's broken or lost (that's why I encrypt), I can just get the previous
one.  My USB drives are pre-encrypted with Bitlocker so I really don't have to
do much (ever).  Previously I used to use those little USB drives with the
combination lock built in to them, but they are very unreliable (and slow).  So
now, when fast USB drives go on sale at Amazon, I always buy several.  I like
the sandisk 256GB ones because a) they are fast, and more importantly b) they
have a lifetime warranty.

I have a batch file that I run to do this.  I plug in my USB drive and start
the batch file and go get a diet coke.

I'm thinking about moving the process to one of the ruggedized external NVMe
drives.  I'm currently testing the new Sabrent 2TB one and it's VERY fast
(1Gb+/sec) and is small enough to easily fit in a pocket.  Plus being
ruggedized it's waterproof and drop-proof (so far).  The sandisk drives
typically load at around 140MB/s, but the Sabrent drive is almost 10 times
faster.

The reason I want 2TB is that I would like to keep a whole Disaster recovery
system on that drive (DF/DSS unloaded virtual tapes).  At the faster speed,
it's actually not a bad process, I just need to work out the kinks a little bit
more so that I can automate it.

Brian