Thank you to all who have responded, I appreciate the several suggestions so
far, I may try several of them. I may get shifted into other efforts.
 Right now, this is an  exploratory, researching, POC,  project and with
undefined or incomplete and amorphous goals..
Even the ultimate target users/audience isn't clear, and they may not, in the
end, actually ever need to look. But, it is very unlikely that, as least for
any preliminary looking, they are unlikely to have access to a z/OS system (or
even a Hercules/MVS 3.8)
  because if the need arises very far into the future , it probably won't be
me. I'll have 40 years in  here  come August, and may or may not be available
to them.

  I want something )or several different "things" that will, at least
hypothetically let there be a chance for a  historical, investigatory, or, god
forbid, a forensic effort to get started.
   I also don't want it to be significantly manual. I have SMP/E, DCOLLECT,
ADRDSSU, TRANSMIT, FTP, (Could install CCKDDUMP), DFSORT, Rexx and other tools
(Natural) available. And aside from PS, PDS, VSAM, there is also Adabas,
Control-D and probably Endevor data to consider.