Am 30.01.2021 um 00:39 schrieb Tony Harminc:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 at 18:21, Radoslaw Skorupka <r.skoru...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Few remarks:
4. Source code EBCDIC-ASCII translation. Example: I hate REXX
translation. REXX use || characters while in CP852 it should be !!.
Simple translation corrupts REXX code. C code is corrupted as well.
The | character is at the same code point X'7C' in CP852 (ISO Latin-2)
as it is in CP819 (ISO Latin-1) and most other European language CPs.
The ! character is at X'21' in CP852 and most others. So your problem
is with neither REXX nor with CP852 - it's presumably with some bad
translation table in your FTP or TN3270 or...

The problem is not at the client side (ASCII codepages);
the problem is that the EBCDIC codepages in Europe have the
exclamation point (!) at the place, where the American EBCDIC has |,
and so, if you transfer from an European EBCDIC codepage (273, for example), which is standard here in Europe, you will get exclamation points instead of |
on the PC.

Same problem, if you transfer C programs written on the PC to mainframes;
you have to make sure, that the mainframe C compiler uses the European
EBCDIC codepage, which was not possible in the early days of C on the mainframe, so we had to translate the source code to trigraphs after transferring it to
the mainframe.

Kind regards

Bernd

Tony H.