I worked at Braniff Airways back in the late '70s and early 80s' supporting
MVT (yes MVT on a 3033 which required an RQP). They ran ACP (Airline
control Program), which I think is the origin of z/TPF. I watched them do
an IPL once. It seems just a few seconds and the operators were busy typing
commands on the console. They said they were activating teleprocessing
lines for airports. I just stood there with my jaw on the floor.

<hearsay>
The programmers also said that all the programs they wrote, in assembler on
MVT curiously enough, had to be exactly 4K in size. If it was longer, they
would do the equivalent of an XCTL as the last thing to continue.All the
DASD was formatted in 4K records. IIRC, it was considered one bit database,
even the programs. But my mind is fuzzy on all this.
</hearsay>