Well,
I thought there are important differences:
- hotels usually have more "seats".
- hotel have no time schedule for departures and arrivals. You cannot book a seat 5 minutes after departure, while in hotel it is possible all the time. IMHO this is the most important difference. - of course both: hotels and planes have finite capacity and there are no "secondary extents". However full-empty is a matter of exception in the code, but not matter of high transaction volumes.

To be honest, out of curiosity I always peek the systems in use when I'm served as customer. That's why when I was shopping I observed 3270 terminal emulator in the Peek & Cloppenburg shop. Instead of choosing new coat. ;-) I also noticed 5250's in some megastores. And to be honest - a lot of obsolete stuff in american hotels. This is the last place when my VISA card was read mechanically  - I mean embossed numbers, not even magnetic stripe! It was long after my card had a chip. And I observed green screens, but often it had HP logo. What system? I don't know, I didn't bother clerks. Last, but not least: I'm aware of only two hotel companies using TPF: IHS and Marriott (public information). Maybe other also use it, surely there are more big hotel networks.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
(looking for new job)