SYSMDUMP to SYSOUT can be either really smart or pretty dumb.  If your
intent is to use SDSF XDC (or some XWTR-like device) to capture them to
real DASD datasets when needed; and your spool is adequately sized to
handle them, it's a fairly clever way to avoid all the space allocation
hassle.  This technique would generally want a special sysout class so they
can be managed appropriately.

If you thought it was actually going to be viewable or "printable" then
yeah, not so smart.

sas