>I consider //SYSMDUMP DD SYSOUT=* to be the best way to manage batch job
>dumps. We've done this for years with excellent results.

Until you get burned really badly in a commercial installation: We had an
address space (STC) where the job output went into the archive product. Someone
had put sysmdump dd sysout=* in the JCL. That STC had its roots in OMVS and
kept abending and terminating, writing a dump each time. The parent process
kept restarting the address space.
We got the messages that the spool of the archive product was full which in
turn kept the job output including the dumps in JES2 spool. We weren't fast
enough deleting the job output in JES2 spool.
The archive product counted lines only, regardless of lrecl. Each sysmdump line
was 4160 byte long, which wasn't readily recognizable und substantially longer
than a 'regular' output line. It took a long time to determine what had filled
the archive product's spool because the (long) lines weren't that many, the
byte count was. And the byte count wasn't shown easily.
As a result, sysmdumps (other than to a data set) were banned from JCL.

>What is the 21st-Century rationale for not allowing everyone to use IPCS?
Mostly ignorance, I would guess. We have allowed application programmers to use
IPCS (I think), because I seem(ed) to be the only one capable of reading a
transction dump and got tired of giving them the traceback. Despite that, I am
not sure that anyone other than myself (in our installation) knows how to use
IPCS. It is not just a question of knowing which command to use to produce
results, it is a question of interpreting the command output. That knowledge
seems to disappear at a fast rate. And products like z/OSMF dumb down the
sysprogs even more.  I am guessing that in 10 years nobody outside a z/OS
software producing company will know how to use IPCS anymore.

Barbara